Director of Finance & HR
About this role
The Director of Finance & HR performs accounting services as well as HR management for the organization. Responsibilities include providing the leadership team with the financial position of the organization monthly, providing data necessary to make proactive financial decisions, and working with team members regularly to perform accounting-related tasks and ensure that the organization meets all relevant generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) guidelines.
The position also acts as the HR liaison for the office, monitoring compliance and ensuring that team members feel supported in an inclusive and equitable work environment. To ensure success, the Director of Finance & HR should display a solid understanding of employee relationships, staffing management, and payroll and benefits administration.
The Director of Finance & HR must be able to work autonomously and efficiently to ensure the end-to-end running of HR projects and operations with guidance from the Managing Director, Operations
These are checkboxes, but the role is much-much more.
Core Responsibilities: Financial (70%): Manage the day-to-day accounting tasks of the organization, including:
- Create and manage P&L systems with team leads. Ensure system is updated and net income monitored to guide for best use of resources
- Manage and update agency forecasts monthly or on an as-needed basis
- Develop and manage cash flow projections
- Prepare and execute monthly billing to ensure clients are on schedule, and prevent any errors in the billing cycle. This includes invoice generation.
- Maintaining accounts payable and accounts receivable through Quickbooks (post bills and checks and receive payments, etc.), ensuring that there are no material weaknesses in the organization’s financial practices, that all invoices have proper back-up, and following up with partners when funds are delinquent.
- Conduct follow-up on delinquent payments and proactively reach out to prevent delinquencies.
- Working directly with Arm Candy CPA firm on various tasks to include:
- Managing check runs and making deposits. Processing semi-monthly payroll, 401k deferrals and payment of insurance premiums.
- Processing expense reimbursements.
- Maintaining fixed asset schedules. Addressing all accounting-related documents/correspondence to and from other team members Complying with federal, state and company policies and regulations.
- Completing all month-end closing duties, including adjusting journal entries and reconciliation of related balance sheet accounts.
- Developing cash flow projections and monitoring cash flow from month to month.
- Preparing annual W-2s and 1099s Preparing annual financial statements and related reports for annual audit and income tax return preparation.
- Miscellaneous finance tasks that could include Quickbook issues, banking needs/credit, etc.
Human Resources (30%):
- Manage recruitment efforts, including the posting of open positions on key recruitment channels, assisting with the scheduling of interviews, and maintaining applicants’ information on the drive.
- Manage and optimize onboarding process, including the facilitation of operations onboarding and coordinating internal onboarding meetings with other team members.
- Maintaining employee payroll files, payroll records, and benefit information.
- Facilitate the Annual Performance Review process and monitor progress.
- Address employee issues and maintain employee relations, in line with labor law and HR best practices.
- Coordinate enrollment and annual renewal of employee benefits, as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Review employee benefit options annually, making educated recommendations on changes from year to year.
- Manage employee off-boarding Other HR duties and projects as requested.
- 8+ years of relevant Finance/ HR experience preferably in marketing, advertising, and/or an agency environment
- 4+ years of relevant management experience
- Recruiting and employee relations/ performance management
- Ability to work cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment that is continually growing, adding talent, and expanding capabilities
- Inherent ability in dealing with numbers, budgeting, and billing
- Strong organizational skills, including multitasking and time management
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills; a warm, positive, and collaborative approach to team collaboration
- Solution-oriented in the face of adversity/ in a growing environment
- Experience in using Quickbooks
- Experience in Microsoft or Google office products (Powerpoint, Word, Excel and etc.)
- Experience in project management tools (preferably Asana)